News Story (First Draft)

Do Gyun Kim

Howard Tinberg

Eng 11

3/7/2010

News Story (First Draft)

Restoring agriculture in Haiti

On January 12, 2010, at 21:53 UTC, (4:53 pm local time) Haiti was struck by a magnitude-7.0 earthquake, the country's most severe earthquake in over 200 years. As result, an estimated three million people were severely affected, Furthermore, an estimated 230,000 people had been identified as dead, an estimated 300,000 injured, and an estimated 1,000,000 homeless according to Haitian Government reports. As best of effort to response to this crisis, World Food Programme and United Nations are already in the ground of Haiti and deployed various section thorough out the regions of Haiti.

As an aftermath of earthquake, Haiti’s entire supply chain infrastructure has been devastated, which resulting many people left without food and water, resulting more people than people who needed medical supply. According to Josette Sheeran who is executive director of World Food Programme, said “Parts of the capital Port-au-Prince look worse than many war zones.” According to Josette Sheeran, this relief operation against Haiti has been most complex relief operation WFP has ever faced. WFP have delivered more than 6 million meals to people in the capital and outlying areas isolated by the earthquake. They currently working around the clock, increasing each day the number of ready-to-eat rations for hungry people (so far 200,000), and distributing other essential items like water purification tablets from other humanitarian partners, according to Pedro Medrano, who is regional director of latin America and the Caribbean in WFP.

Currently they have accomplished many goals such as providing more than 4 million people with their food assistance. Mainly they are trying to respond to the special needs of children and pregnant women. In addition, they have started cooking meals for schoolchildren in Port-au-Prince, and their goal is to reach 72,000 children from 148 schools. Furthermore, the organization of WFP has nearly put 500 staff member on ground, operating around the clock to ensure many people as possible and give the food assistance they needed.

Read Users' Comments (2)

2 Response to "News Story (First Draft)"

  1. Kevin says:
    March 6, 2010 at 10:33 PM

    # How do you feel about the paper so far? Please explain and offer evidence from the work.

    I think it's first time I felt good after reading my first piece. I actually sounded like news reporter for few second. Than I realize my mistake edited again and again until it sound right.

    Furthermore, getting hold of one of the member of world food programme was tougher then I thought it would.Since I am not real news reporter : ( I have basically received an email of current status in Haiti and how there field operation is being performed.
    which it gave me lot's of details for my newspaper.

    # What remains to be done? Please be precise.

    I think my challenge rise on editing!! argg Grammar.....

    # What questions do you have for readers about the piece?

    How is my report? Did you get the motivation that I wrote this newspaper for? My purpose for this newspaper was motivate more people to support for Haiti.

  2. Kevin says:
    March 13, 2010 at 4:07 PM

    Testing post. No problem.

Post a Comment